I had lots a fun creating a delicious menu using Botko vegan and grain free ingredients today! Botko is a San Diego based company that makes amazing almond and cashew based dairy free spreads that can be incorporated into your everyday cooking. They are so versatile, they can be heated on the stove top to create creamy dishes, baked in the oven or simply served as dips. Their grain free tortillas and crackers are addictive! During our class earlier, we made Green Ceviche, Wild Mushroom and Chipotle Cream Taquitos and a Roasted Vegetable Terrine with Walnut Pesto. I have included all of the recipes and hope you get a chance to try them soon!
· 1 hothouse English cucumber, diced
· 8 tomatillos peeled and quartered
· Juice and zest of 12 limes
· ½ cup cilantro, chopped
· 1-2 serrano or jalapeño chiles
· 2 cans hearts of palm or palmitos
· 1-2 avocados, cubed
· ½ head of cauliflower, cut into small bits
· 1 container BOTKO Jalapeño Almond Spread
1. In a large bowl, combine hearts of palm, cucumber, serrano cauliflower.
2. In a blender or food processor, pulse tomatillo along with lime zest, juice, salt and pepper.
3. Combine tomatillo and with the rest of the vegetables and add in the avocado and cilantro. Check for seasoning and adjust. Let marinate for about 20 minutes.
4. On a serving platter, spread almond spread and top with green ceviche. Serve with grain-free tortilla chips.
Roasted Vegetable Terrine with Herb Pesto
· In-season vegetables for roasting (zucchini, tomato, mushrooms, eggplant, bell peppers, asparagus)
· 1 container BOTKO almond spread
For Walnut Pesto:
· 1 bunch each basil and parsley
· 1 cup toasted walnuts
· ½ cup olive oil
· salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice vegetables lengthwise, place on baking sheets with olive oil salt and pepper and roast at 450* for 40 minutes flipping over halfway until browned. Set aside to cool on sheets.
2. Prepare pesto by combining walnuts and basil in a food processor or blender and pulsing until desired consistency is reached.
3. Once vegetables have cooled, assemble terrine. In plastic-lined loaf pan, layer vegetables, pesto and almond spread like a lasagna, compressing slightly after each layer. Leave to set up for at least two hours. Terrine can be made 1 day ahead.
4. Slice terrine into loaves and serve sprinkled with walnuts, and additional pesto and basil leaves.
Wild Mushroom Taquitos with Chipotle Cream
· 1 lb. mixed wild mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
· 1 shallot, minced
· 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
· 4 tablespoons chopped herbs such as tarragon, parsley, chives
· Salt, pepper, garlic salt, chili flakes to taste
· 1 container BOTKO chipotle almond spread
· 1 avocado, sliced to serve as a garnish
· 6-8 BOTKO grain-less tortillas
1. Sauté shallots in olive or avocado oil over low medium-low heat. When translucent, add in the mixed mushrooms and continue to sauté for a few more minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic salt if desired.
2. Once mushrooms are soft, add in the chipotle spread as well as the chopped herbs and combine.
3. Warm tortillas in a skillet and serve mushrooms in a warm tortilla. Garnish with additional chopped herbs if desired.