· 1 can pumpkin pure or 1 medium pumpkin peeled, seeded, chopped
· 4-6 cloves garlic
· 2 sprigs of thyme
· 2 ¾ cups coconut milk (about 1 ½ cans)
· 3 tablespoons white miso paste
· 4 cups penne or rotini pasta
· Salt and pepper to taste
· ¼ cup nutritional yeast
· ½ cup panko bread crumbs
· 1 tablespoon garlic powder
· ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
· ½ cup finely chopped kale
· 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (if not vegan parmesan cheese can be used here)
1. Preheat the oven to 375*F and coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
2. If using fresh pumpkin, place cubed pumpkin squares in a pot along with garlic, thyme, miso, coconut milk and salt. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Make sure it is covered by liquid at all times, adding a bit of water if necessary. Purée in a high-speed blender until smooth.
3. If using canned pumpkin, add the canned pumpkin to the blender along with the rest of the ingredients and purée until smooth.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and cook pasta until just al dente. Spread the pasta into the prepared pan and combine with the pumpkin purée. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes
5. Make the crumb topping by stirring together the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, kale and nutritional yeast.
6. Remove the pasta from the oven and top with the crumb topping and broil for about 2 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
NOTE: Butternut Squash can be used to substitute pumpkin.