I believe that food should be vibrant and beautiful. That is why I try to incorporate as many colors and textures into the menus for my classes as well as the food I prepare on a daily basis. For me, the easiest and most nutritious way to achieve this is by using vegetables.
The colors of the plant rainbow are code for a unique set of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that nourish our bodies from the inside out. The more colors we eat, the greater variety of nutrients we are using to fuel our bodies. These nutrients provide us with the energy and vitality we need to thrive every day and hopefully to live a long and active life.
This is one of my favorite salads to make when I feel I need an extra dose of vitamin love. The combination of raw and crunchy together with delicious roasted veggies and my sesame-tamari vinaigrette is heaven for your taste buds as well as your gut!
Raw and Roasted Vegetable Salad
· 1 cup of your favorite roasted vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts)
· ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
· ½ cup chopped Persian cucumber
· ½ cup garbanzos
· ¼ cup pepitas
· 2 cups lacinato kale (finely sliced, stems removed)
· ½ cup sesame oil
· 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
· 1 large garlic clove, grated
· 6 table spoons soy sauce
· ¼ cup lime juice
· 3 teaspoons honey
1. Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all of the ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
2. Combine shredded kale with the rest of the raw and roasted vegetables and sesame-tahini vinaigrette and serve topped with pepitas for crunch.